1. Discuss the patient's use/abuse of alcohol. Identify the alcohol of
request help. This requirement must be met before deciding on a
5. Review treatment options available at the VA and in the community.
6. Discuss the power of addiction and the need to utilize family and
community resources to help control this addiction.
2. Discuss the attitudes towards their dependency, specifically
addressing denial issues.
3. Assess the patient's motivation for change vs. the level of denial.
4. Explain that both patient and family need to acknowledge, admit and